Wednesday, August 2, 2006

If your walk with Christ is a trip from one end of the country to the other...

I used to lead Christian discipleship groups. Usually, when the group is first formed, I would ask everyone to assess how they are doing spiritually. I would try to do it in a fun way. One fun way is when I would ask everyone the following:

If your walk with Christ is a trip from one end of the country to the other, what kind of transportation would best describe how you are currently moving and where would you be (geographically) right now? Why did you choose that form of transportation and why did you choose that geographic location to describe how you are doing spiritually.

I would get a lot of very fun but very poignant answers and everyone has a lot of fun, not only coming up with his/her answers but also hearing others.

Yesterday, I started a discussion thread asking that question. And, to be fair, I posted my answer first.

Here is my answer:

I'm a tractor trailer rig currently refueling at the Iowa 80 truck stop.

Why a tractor trailer rig?

Because I've been carrying a heavy load for a while.

My dad had a stroke that left him an invalid. My brother developed chemical imbalance illnesses: hypothyroid, diabetes, and a plethora of others. Through all this, I continued to fulfill my ministry responsibilities while working full time at my day job. Then, my dad had a heart attack and passed away, after which my mom had a stroke that left her an invalid. Then my cat, Amelia, developed kidney disease, high blood pressure, a heart murmur, and degenerative joint disease all of which require special daily attention.

Why at the Iowa 80?

Because it is in the middle of the country and it is the world largest truck stop.

Although I've come a long way in my walk with the Lord, I know that I've still got a long way to go.

I've completed my ministry responsibilities and about the same time paid off my house which allowed me to work three days a week at my day job, a thoroughly needed break. Last week, the Lord finally allowed my cat to rest in peace.

Although I've been running on empty, the Lord is currently refueling me.

All this came just in time because I think I would break if I wasn't given the respite.

Praise God that he gives me all that I need when I need them.

Mathew 6:31-
31 So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?"
32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No comments: