Thursday, January 11, 2007

Can't Out Give God

Something cool happend to me.

Every day, I drive pass the intersection of North Avenue and Mt. Royal Avenue. On this intersection, an elderly man is always there selling flowers. He would have a bucket of flowers on one corner of the intersection but he'd be walking from one corner to the other trying to sell flowers to the drivers who are waiting for the light to change.

I rarely see people buy flowers from him so I am always feeling bad for him.

During rush hour, while I was waiting for the light to change at that intersection, I watched, with disbelief, as an event unfolded. While the elderly man was on a different corner of the intersection than the corner where his bucket of flowers is, a teenager grabbed the bucket of flowers and took off. The elderly man tried to catch him but the kid was too fast.

Now, I really feel bad for the elderly man.

So, the next day, I decided to buy some flowers from him. He was selling a dozen roses for $3 but I handed him a $20 bill and told him to keep the change. Boy, did his face light up.

Since I didn't want to deal with wet flowers in my car, I told him to give the flowers to the woman in the car behind me. When the woman received the flowers, she was so excited that she stuck her torso out the window of her car and waved the flowers wildly at the driver behind her (evidently some one that she knows and was following her) and screaming something to her. Then, the driver behind her became excited, too.

Boy, that made my day! Can't out give God.

No comments: