Sunday, May 28, 2006

Fast Food Gourmand

Lately, I've been up to my neck in work so, I've been eating exclusively at fast food restaurants and take-outs. So, here's a list of my favorites:


  • Best Hamburger Sandwich: Burger King's Angus Steak Burger

    Before I tried it, I was skeptical that it would really matter if it's Black Angus beef or otherwise. Boy, was I wrong. The meat does matter, even in a hamburger.

  • Best Hot Dog/Sausage on a bun - Seven Eleven's Kielbasa

    I love kielbasa (no topping); it doesn't matter where I buy it.

  • Best Corn Dog - K-mart's Corn Dog

    I love corn dogs (with just mustard); it doesn't matter where I buy it.

  • Best French Fries (French Cut Fried Potato) - McDonald's French Fries

    It just tastes better than other french fries. (According to Eric Schlosser's book "Fast Food Nation", it's the oil. For decades McDonald's cooked its french fries in a mixture of about seven percent cottonseed oil and 93 percent beef tallow. The mixture gave the fries their unique flavor -- and more saturated beef fat per ounce than a McDonald's hamburger. In 1990, amid a barrage of criticism over the amount of cholesterol in its fries, McDonald's switched to pure vegetable oil. This presented the company with a challenge: how to make fries that subtly taste like beef without cooking them in beef tallow. A look at the ingredients in McDonald's french fries suggests how the problem was solved. Toward the end of the list is a seemingly innocuous yet oddly mysterious phrase: "natural flavor." See http://www.rense.com/general7/whyy.htm)

  • Best Taco Salad - Wendy's Southwest Taco Salad

    I was surprised that it's better than Taco Bell's Taco Salad. It has a better chili and it has the Ancho Chipotle Ranch Dressing.

  • Best "Eat While Driving" Meal - KFC's Popcorn Chicken Meal w/ Fried Potato Wedges

    The popcorn chicken tastes just like the KFC extra crispy fried chicken; however, the entire meal can be chugged down using one hand.

No comments: